The Saljuki Castle
Western historians thought for a while that the castle
had Roman or Byzantine origins, due to the presence of Roman stones that are
sculptured within the castle.
This view was soon dropped as a result of more modern opinions. Regarding the
presence of Roman stoned, researchers have noted that such stones were not
placed in their original locations. Historical records seem to indicate that
the Saljukis were the first to construct the castle, the construction having
been started by King Atzin Adaq in 1076 A.D. The castle has several gates, most
of which were dilapidated. It contains openings through which boiling oil would
be poured over the heads of attackers, as well holes fore archers to shoot their
arrows. The castle was surrounded by a trench which would be filled with water
during sieges. The castle has wells and water canals, so that when water is cut
off, the wells would provide them with the necessary water. The plan of the
castle remained unchanged until 1202 A.D., after which King Al-Adel ordered it
to be demolished and had a new castle built in its place.